“I AM” He Said
John’s gospel account includes seven “I AM” statements in which Jesus affirmed both His deity and His sufficiency. These seven statements all relate to God’s self-identification to Moses in which God declared “I AM who I AM” (Exodus 3:14), a statement regarding His self-existence and eternality. In John 8:58 Jesus said to the Jews, “Truly, Truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” Their response was to pick “up stones to throw at Him” (John 8:59). Why? Because they understood Jesus to be equating Himself with God (Cf. John 10:31-33).
In these seven “I Am” statements, Jesus, the eternal, self-existent, Divine Son of God, boldly affirmed His ability to meet all our needs. Each statement focuses on a different aspect of His provision.
- “I am the bread of life.” (John 6:35, 41, 48, 51). As bread is necessary to sustain physical life, so Christ offers and sustains spiritual life.
- “I am the light of the world” (John 8:12). To a world lost in darkness, Christ offers Himself as a guide.
- “I am the door of the sheep” (John 10:7 ,9). Jesus protects His followers as shepherds protect their flocks from predators.
- “I am the good shepherd” (John 10:11, 14). Jesus provides and watches over those who belong to Him.
- “I am the resurrection and the life” (John 11:25). Death is not the final word for those who are in Christ.
- “I am the way, the truth, and the life” (John 14:6). Jesus is the sole means of salvation and the sole source of truth and life.
- “I am the true vine” (John 15:1, 5). As we abide in Christ, His life is free to flow in and through us so we can bear fruit to the glory of God.
A treasure trove of blessings are bound up in the person of Jesus! To borrow the words of the hymn, “O soul are you weary and troubled, no light in the darkness you see? There’s light for a look at the Savior, and life more abundant and free.” Are you distressed and afraid in the pervasive darkness which rules this world? The light of the world can shine into your darkness and lead you to safety. Have you struggled to find purpose and meaning in life? Jesus, the Bread of Life, can satisfy the deepest longings of your heart. Have you grown weary of walking down dead end paths which lead only to trouble and heartache? Jesus, the Way and the Truth and the Life, will bring You into a right relationship with God. Are you fearful of what’s going to happen to you after you die? Jesus, the resurrection and the life, has conquered sin and death and He’ll do the same for you if you trust in Him. Do you need someone to lead you and watch over you, as you journey in this trouble-filled world? Jesus, the Good Shepherd, will watch over your soul! Do you want your life to truly matter, bearing fruit of eternal significance? He will accomplish this in and through you as you abide in Him. Look to Him, weary traveler! He lovingly calls for you to come!
Lord Jesus, there is none like You! As the self-existent, creator of all things, You alone are able to meet all our needs and satisfy our deepest longings! May our hearts gladly welcome You in Your all sufficient presence and love, in the reality of each of these wonderful truths.
Jesus, I am resting, resting
in the joy of what thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
of thy loving heart.
Thou hast bid me gaze upon thee,
as thy beauty fills my soul,
for by thy transforming power,
thou hast made me whole.